Re: Some questions

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 23:29 +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
Frank Schoolmeesters wrote:
On the homepage of MC i see:
  Last stable version: 4.6.0 (released February 5, 2003)
  Test version: 4.6.1-pre1 (released December 24, 2003)

 > And i can see there is lots of activity on the MC mailing lists
so, why there are no new MC releases yet?  A new release would be
great!

That's what most of the mc developers want, too. But there's one
problem: The project's maintainers. They seem to be unable to publish a
release and to keep the developers motivated.

There are also some other issues.

I just cannot keep up with the mailing list traffic, especially with the
patches.  I have hundreds of unread e-mails since the last prerelease.
It would be wrong to make a release without looking at them.  After all,
the whole purpose of the prereleases was to get some feedback.

Another issue is the the world of software changes faster than mc.
Since the last release, the Unicode support has become a commonplace, we
have a new major release of gcc, a new major release of S-Lang.
Releasing a version that doesn't compile with the latest compiler
against the latest libraries could affect credibility of the project.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin