Sub-shell (ctrl-o) behavior

Hi all,

I just discovered MC and I love it!  Thanks to all those who have
contributed.

My question: under Linux, I can toggle to a full sub-shell using ctrl-o
that is interactive.  This is perfect.

Under cygwin and when I telnet to a FreeBSD server, I ctrl-o and can
only see the results of the previous command.  I can't, for example,
type in another command.  As soon as I enter another keystroe, I am
immediately returned to the MC interface.

In both cygwin and FreeBSD I am using Bash, so FAQ 6.6 doesn't seem to
apply.

I would like to have the ctrl-o functionality that I currently have in
Linux in the other instances, too.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt Peavy.