Re: mcserv and PAM was Re: Midnight Commander 4.6.1 has been released.

hi pavel,

The following line from acinclude.m4 should explain the situation better:

[...]
dnl MC_MCSERVER_CHECKS
dnl    Check how mcserver should check passwords.
dnl    Possible methods are PAM, pwdauth and crypt.
dnl    The later works with both /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd.
dnl    If PAM is found, other methods are not checked.
[...]

oh - i see!
although - i never quite understood the ac* things. :-(

I guess for some reason you didn't have PAM installed in the past and now
you have it, configure detects it and mcserv is built with PAM support.

well - not quite, i think.
it was detected in 2004-10-07-16, methinks (that's why i made those files
(log/build) also available at the indicated url).

In any case I think this should be made configurable i.e. the type of
authentication that's to be used by mcserv.

this would help me some, although i succeeded doing it manually; other
people, less daring, wouldn't choose my way... ;-)

many thanks for your reply!

regards,
christian

--