mcserv and PAM was Re: Midnight Commander 4.6.1 has been released.

Hello,

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, christian laubscher wrote:

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:22:17PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

    The changes since the last public release (4.6.0) are as follows:
[...]

an additional change seems to be that mcserv is not built the same way it
used to be, up to 2004-10-07-16, at least.

although i don't use pam, it's built with pam and dl now, whereas crypt
was used before (slackware doesn't use pam).

The following line from acinclude.m4 should explain the situation better:

[...]
dnl MC_MCSERVER_CHECKS
dnl    Check how mcserver should check passwords.
dnl    Possible methods are PAM, pwdauth and crypt.
dnl    The later works with both /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd.
dnl    If PAM is found, other methods are not checked.
[...]

I guess for some reason you didn't have PAM installed in the past and now
you have it, configure detects it and mcserv is built with PAM support.

In any case I think this should be made configurable i.e. the type of
authentication that's to be used by mcserv.