UNDELETE and EDITOR

Two questions: I'm running RedHat 9 pretty much stock and I've recently built the newest MC from source to try and fix these problems.

UNDELETE
I typed into the command prompt "cd /#undel:hda3" and I'm sure one of you knows the error I got, so what is the correct way to type that in manually?

I then rebuilt mc from source to get the Undelete function into the menu and it doesn't do anything.
What did I do wrong?

I managed to get my file back using recover, so that is not really a big issue to me, but it used to work in an older version and I kind of miss it.

EDITOR
This is my big problem and I'm sure you guys have heard this one before. That's why I came to you.
Shift-Delete and Shift-Insert don't work on mcedit inside of gnome terminal or xterm. How do I get it to work or how do I specify Cooledit as my editor default which is something I would like to do anyway. I despised vi back in college and haven't grown any more fond of it since.

I changed mc.ext in /usr/share/mc , but nothing happens. Vi still comes up when I turn off the internal editor.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sincerely,

Eljin