ugly mc on fedora core1 sshing into rh7.3

hi list,

I have just installed my workstation with fedora core1, it lives fine with utf-8, but
opennig a konsole (kde) and doing ssh into a machine running RH7.3 display MC very ugly and it doesnt catch
any F* keys at all.

Is there any way to putting a ssh session back into latin mode (iso-8859-1 , es_ES) in order to see MC fine
again?
Ive tried unicode_stop but X terminals and Konsole virtual terminal dont accept such command so i don know
how to ride off unicode
for a particular SSH session to be able to work on non unicode machines from mine (FC1).

Thanks!