Re: Help me to install file.gz on Sun

Nguyen,

I suggest you to take precompiled package for Sun.
So take Midnight Commander package
ftp://ftp.nstu.nsk.su/pub/solaris/packages/sparc/solaris8/SHAmc.tar.bz2
take SHAbzip2.tar from the same place and install bzip2,
then unarchive MC package with SHAbzip2.tarit and install it
with the normal procedure of package installation on Sun.

Another possibility: you can take precompiled version from:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/file/managers/mc/binaries/SunOS/mc-4.6.0-sol7-sparc-local.tar.Z
, uncompress it and manually
put into appropriate directories.

Sincerely,
Alex

--- Nguyen Huu Van <vannh elcom com vn> wrote:
Hi Mr
I want to install mc on Sun Sparc And download
mc-4.5.9-sol8-sparc-local.gz from www.sunfreeware.com.
Step1 :
    I copy this file to /export/home/myname/InstallDir/
   After execute the following command:
       #  gunzip mc-4.5.9-sol8-sparc-local.gz

    In the directory
        /export/home/myname/InstallDir/ I already have only file
mc-4.5.9-sol8-sparc-local

 Step 2:
     I execute the following commands:
    #cd /export/home/myname/InstallDir/
    #make install
And result is bash: make : command not found.

Step 3: In fact , I have never install a file.gz in Solaris. So I
think perhap I wrong when I am doing install. Please show me the
order to install a file.gz . Specialy is stall
mc-4.5.9-sol8-sparc-local.gz.
   Thank you very much
   Abort my Incorrect English
    Huu Van

=====
The following signature is automatically
added by the web email service I use,
which is beyond my control: