static linkage...

Problem:
I need the mc on a system to be installed, where the (shared) libraries are (yet) missing; so I need a
statically linked mc.

I suggest to to add an option for the ./configure to allow static linkage.

Doing this manually is time consuming and needed several repairs:

(gentoo linux; system is up to date (Dec, 15th, 2003))

setting environment variable LDFLAGS to -Wl,-static
compile error: library glib-2.0 not found

changing within the link command glib-2.0 to glib solved it.

gcc -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -g -O2 -Wall  -Wl,-static -o mc  achown.o
background.o boxes.o chmod.o chown.o cmd.o color.o command.o complete.o cons.handler.o dialog.o dir.o dlg.o
ext.o file.o filegui.o filenot.o fileopctx.o find.o findme.o fsusage.o help.o hotlist.o info.o key.o
keyxdef.o layout.o learn.o listmode.o main.o menu.o mountlist.o mouse.o option.o panelize.o popt.o
poptconfig.o popthelp.o poptparse.o profile.o regex.o rxvt.o screen.o setup.o slint.o subshell.o terms.o
text.o textconf.o tree.o treestore.o user.o util.o utilunix.o view.o widget.o win.o wtools.o
../edit/libedit.a  ../vfs/libvfs-mc.a  -lglib-2.0   -lgpm -lslang -lext2fs -lcom_err

some thread references were missing...

was solved by specifying ./configure --without-x ??

With these modifications I was able to build mc statically by sending the modified link command isolated to
the shell.

I suggest to be able to do:

./configure --static

This description might be "bumpy"; I'm neither developer nor native english speaker...

-- Andreas