Re: included samba library

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, [iso-8859-2] Pavel Arno?t wrote:
what about updating included samba library? there are couple of problems
with current one (for example, problems with redhat linux 7.2 headers
files)

I am suprised to read about this kind of problems, I had no such ones
for RH 7.2 and 7.3. Can you tell some more details?

btw, samba library has support for ssl, ldap, nis...are these
enhancement usable with midnight commander?

No.

I think the inclusion of the library into the sources was a hack that
shouldn't consume more and more programming resources.

GNU Midnight Commander should link against an external Samba library.  If
such library doesn't exist, the build system of Samba needs to be changed
so that it's created.

It sounds good, but it is not interesting for Samba team.  They have
libsmbclient shared library, but API are different for each of release.
I modified mc sources for Samba 2.2.4, but it was broken for 2.2.5 and
so on.

Updating Samba sources in the mc distribution would be a temporary
solution and would need to be repeated over and over again.

Also, the sources included with mc have been changed to remove unnecessary
code, in particular configure checks.  This will be needed every time
Samba is updated.

If you can fix problems with Red Hat 7.2 headers (I'm not aware of any),
it will be applied.  If you want anything more radical, please talk to
Samba folks first and ask them to make a library with stable API.

It was just wasted time for me, may be you will be more lucky.

--
Regards,
Andrew V. Samoilov.