Internal Editor

Thank you all for your time. I am working on a Linux based computing environment for blind or visually handicapped users. We are using Midnight Commander as our file manager and are attempting to use the MC internal editor as our main text editor.

Unfortunately, the status line at the top of the (editor) screen changes several numbers with every character typed, and our screen reader will read any part of the screen that changes, causing the user to swamped in a string of numbers as they try to type something.

So my question is, is there a way to disable the status bar at the top of the editor screen?

I have not been able to find anything like this in the documentation, have I missed something?

If replies could be sent to me directly as well (or instead of) the list, that would be appreciated, I am subscribed, but in digest mode and do not read regularly.

Thanks,
Alden Jurling