Problems with Redhat 8 in console window

I used the rpm to load the latest mc onto Redhat 8.  It works fine in a Gnome
terminal  but not in the console, outside of the windows environment.  In the
latter case, there are no borders and the background color does not complete
cover all areas of the mc window--in particular the mini-status window along
the bottom of the screen.  Also, the two directory windows are butted right up
against each other--which I guess goes with the fact that there are no borders
to separate them.

Are there settings that I can change  to improve the appearance?

It works fine, by the way, from a telnet terminal--except for the fact that, as
another user reported a while back, the background color doesn't cover over
all erased areas--which I handled by changing the telnet client's background
color to that of mc.  (I use putty)  The color in case anyone is interested is :
    0 0 187 (rgb)

Thanks,

Myron Turner