[MC]: better FAQ. was: zip issues, ftp wants, and others

Quoting Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org>:

First, simple suggestions:

(2) can we display URL of MC homepage, *and* URL of MC FAQ,
in many places, like:
   * email footer in this list
   * first help page (at least as text)
I downloaded MC for Win from some freeware site, and was not aware
it is part of GNOME and has homepage.

MC is not part of GNOME.  GNOME hosts our mailing lists and CVS
repository.

OK. MC's homepage mentions GNOME and URL is on GNOME.
Rest are technical niceties. ;-)

Don't you think it will be usefull for newcomers here,
if email footer has a link to MC homepage and FAQ? And archives?

Or for newbies, if first help page has MC URL, too?
Don't you think it will be usefull for newbie users?

(3) At MC homepage, can we place link to FAQs into more prominent place?
I agree, the homepage needs more work.

Just simple reorder: put para3 first (what MC is), screenshots, FAQ
and HOW-TOs first (for newbies). Then, technical stuff for gurus.
Use [H2] FAQ [/H2] to make FAQ more visible. Not much of work, IMHO.

(4) FAQ is huge plain text file.  At least table of contens should be
clickable. I propose to convert text to POD (perl docs) format, and then
to HTML. I can do it. And add more HOW-TOs... ;-)

FAQ doesn't represent the questions that are often asked now.  The problem
with excessive documentation is that we put too much strain on people
changing the code - they have to update too much documentation.

OK. I propose to create new FAQ and keep also link to old one.

The documentation should be more consolidated and less overlapping.  FAQ
in HTML would be good - most developers know HTML.  More exotic formats
will lead to obsolete documentation.  We used to have the manual sources
in SGML, and some developers were updating the manual, not the source.
Finally the SGML file was removed because resynchronizing it with the
changes manual would be too much work.

I just volunteered to be doc maintainer. Did you notice? ;-)

If developers are swamped, somebody else might help with docs. That's me.

My idea is, I can write first draft of docs, and then gurus
can fix misunderstandings.
Obviously, gurus cannot ask stupid questions.
We need beginners for that... ;-)

(5) I am playing with colors. Looking into archives, it is FAQ. (and it
helped me - thank you guys.) I may add some questions/answers as I learn
something. Currently I am trying to set a "white theme" - with white
background, for ssh terminal. Having every color option at new line
would help a lot... 8-(

I agree.  It's is TODO already.

(6) About forgetting F-keys:

This bug bite me, too, before I realized what is going on. Bad news,
this bug will bite a novice when just experimenting with MC - and might
scare her away from MC forever.

Also in TODO.

How do you plan to handle that?

This bug desperately needs to go into FAQs or HOW-TOs.
Again: I can do that....

Maybe you can decide, which fixes are "critical", and rest can wait
until next release.

Maybe keys/colors should be in another .ini file, saved only by request?

We have one single "Auto save setup" option.  Splitting it means remaking
the dialog and changing the documentation.

What about if I'll do docs, you'll do dialog? ;-)

Yeah, now I recall. Exactly as in NC... ;-)
I disabled Autosave and it works better (for what I want) now.

Thank you,
Peter