Re: The philosophy of Linux - long

Ronald KA4INM Youvan <ka4inm tampabay rr com> a tapoté :

 Do you have any document describing the "philosophy of
Linux"?  I searched for "philosophy of Linux" but only

could find discussions about free vs. non-free and

cathedral vs. bazaar.

Hmm. Have you heard, for example, that Linux is supposed to be
functional without X?

   In fact `the X system' is not any part of LINUX, it was written
by MIT and can be compiled to run under DOS, windows, almost any
OS, it is not an OS, it is GUI layer like windows 3.1 is, (formally
called the `X system', now `X windows') It is included to make LINUX
competitive with winders.  (I think it is in the public domain.)

Sure, X window cannot be part of Linux, since windows is a kernel.
To check what is part of Linux, see http://www.kernel.org

   I think "the philosophy of Linux" refers to each program, such as
all of the utilities like ls or cmp or ps or df or du each doing one
task, each been debugged thoroughly, does it's task correctly under
all reasonable circumstances, has all needed command line switches

Finally, "the philosophy of Linux" describe the GNU softwares that
distributions ships.
Personally, I think the term GNU/Linux more appropriate...

But are talking about mc ? :)

--
Mathieu Roy

Homepage >> http://yeupou.coleumes.org           >>