more details about arrow keys problem

Hi Pavel Roskin.

Thank you for your response.

Here are clarifications you asked:

"Unpredictable moments" means exactly just that - I can't determine
the moments in which they will not work. They work sometimes. To be
more precise, they _don't_ work sometimes - all the time they work
fine with these exceptions which are not too rare. I seen that this
problem appears especially (and precise) when I keep the arrow keys
pressed for a few seconds to scroll vertically or to go to a specific
word in a line. Sincerely, for the purpose of modifying text files, I
had to switch to another editor - jed, and that is incovenient to me.

No, it cant't be that I pressed escape and then the arrow keys. No
way.

"xterm -v" give me: "XFree86 3.3.6(88c)".

In "rxvt" this problem does not exist! mc is working fine in rxvt! And
I seen that when rxvt is running (with or without mc in it) the mc in
a xterm window stop making these nasty things, even when rxvt is run
as a normal user and mc is run as root in an xterm window!

I remember that I seen some warnings when I did "tic xterm.ti":

  "xterm.ti", line 7, terminal 'xterm-basic': enter_bold_mode but no exit_attribute_mode
  "xterm.ti", line 7, terminal 'xterm-basic': enter_reverse_mode but no exit_attribute_mode
  "xterm.ti", line 112, terminal 'xterm': alias vs100 multiply defined.

I don't know what all these means and I did't try to understand these
messages.

I have no ideea what to do to reproduce the bug (if it really is one;
maybe it is only some misconfigured thing somewhere, in terminfo or
xterm or something). I know only what I did when I build the mc from
sources: I compiled it, I install it and then I did "tic xterm.ti" and
added the resources form the file "xterm.ad" to my "~/.Xdefaults" and,
obviously merged them in the database. And I run WindowMaker (if that
counts). I did't try mc in the console.

Thanks again for your interest.

Please excuse my english mistakes (especially the grammar ones).

Regards,
--Constantin.