Thanx: Re: Which directory from the commandline appears in which Panel ?

Thanx !

With this information it was easy to manipulate the section [Dir Hist New
Left Panel] within ~/.mc/history to contain the directory which I want to
appear in the left panel.
And now it works like a breeze !

regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

Background: I use mc within an interactive perl-script. At some point the
user should get the chance to copy files from one directory (lets say A) to
the other (say B) and so I invoke mc. However, here it is crucial that the
users copies from A to B (and not from B to A). To make things easy for
users I just want to issue something like "please use mc to copy from the
left to the right panel" from within my script. But then I need to be sure,
that directory A is presented within the left panel under all
circumstances.

|         |           Pavel Roskin     |
|         |           <proski gnu org> |
|         |           19.07.02 14:40   |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       An:       Marc-Oliver Ihm <ihm allgemeine-kredit de>
   |
  |       Kopie:    mc gnome org
   |
  |       Thema:    Re: Which directory from the commandline appears in which Panel ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello!

When I invoke mc like this:

   mc x y

where x and y are names of directories respectively, directory x does not
necessarily appear in the left directory panel as I would expect.

x is the directory on the active panel.  If you have "Auto save setup"
enabled in the Options->Configuration menu, then the active panel is the
panel that was active last time you were using mc.

So my question: Is it possible to force mc to display its first argument
in
the left and its second argument within the right panel ?

I don't know of any way short of disabling "Auto save setup" alltogether
or setting "current_is_left=1" in the "[Dirs]" section of ~.mc/ini from a
script before you run mc.

If this is not possible: What are the rools for diplaying the directories
named on the commandline either in the left or the right panel ?

I have tried to figure this out by looking at the sources, but wasn't
able
to understand what really happens within handle_args() ...

Check create_panels().

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin