Re: problem with viewing large files

yeah i did mention the larger file ..thats why i found it little
confusing that it opened one but not the other, shift-f3 still gave me
that same error, but its good to know about that option.

Because i do data recovery and forensic stuff, i tend to deal with big
files alot so i'll do a little more testing in the morning and let you
know how i go.

In this case i don't recommend you using mc internal viewer until it's
fixed.  Frankly, it's not going to happen in mc-4.6 unless somebody helps
me - I'm quite busy now and cannot delay the new release indefinitely.

Use specialized viewers designed for such tasks.  MC viewers wants the
whole file to be in the address space - it doesn't implement pages.

At first i though this was an error with Glib and lfs, however i
have another file even larger:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     4789108736 Feb 11 11:42 tapedata.001

I can view this file with no problems in both ascii and hex and search
throught the binary with no problems.

The problem is that it's not possible to allocate this file in memory on a
32-bit system, and the code shows that you are not viewing the whole file:

view->data = (unsigned char*) g_malloc (view->s.st_size);

g_malloc takes "unsigned long" as an argument.  view->s.st_size is "long
long", so it gets "clipped".  I'll probably add a warning about it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin