Re: problem with viewing large files

Hi Pavel,
Thanks for your reply.
I did use the large file option when I compiled mc, i could see the 4gb
file with no problems.

I suspects its a problem with the contents of the file (its a dgdump file
that was ment to be cpio).

the os details are:

SuSE 7.1
kernel 2.4.16

Thanks adam

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Pavel Roskin wrote:

Hi, Adam!

mc-4.5.55 is not compiled with large file support by default.

The current code (see snapshot on www.midnightcommander.org) defaults to
using 64-bit file offsets.  There are still things that need to be
cleaned up, especially in the viewer.

You din't mention the OS you are using.  On some OSes MC doesn't use mmap
in the viewer, but instead tries to load the whole file in memory.  Of
course it fails if the size of the file is more than the size of your
memory and swap combined.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin