Re: more questions

First, looks like I was a bit too optimistic. Alt-Fkeys can be enabled in this way, but ctrl-insert cannot
because "learned key" for ctrl-insert is actually the same as insert.

Yes, but I can define reread to be called by F17 in the source,
recompile, and then define Ctrl-Insert to be F17. Awkward but "works for
me." Thanks for helping out!

Then it works for you and only for you.  Other users cannot benefit from
this change.

It's not really a change - just a configuration setting to make it more useable for _me_. And now that this
is published here in the list, other users can similarly reconfigure their copies of the program as they
please. Until we have a way to define keymaps via a config file, we'll have to live with having to hack the
source, because changing key bindings is actually one of the most basic configuration needs.

However, if the F11-F20 are just empty placeholders, I would love to see
them called in a more intuitive fashion. Also having more than 10 such
placeholders would be helpful. (And an ability to fully define keymaps
without having to recompile, of course...)

They are not empty placeholders.  F14 opens a new editor window when the
panels are active.  F17 continues search in the viewer and the editor.

Great idea, I will now "learn" shift-f4 as f14 so it opens a new editor window - I missed this a lot. Other
F-teens, however, such as F12, are not used by mc by default and therefore can be used exactly thus - as
placeholders.

for example:
alt-f7: \e\e[18~
ctrl-insert: \e[2~

I don't think mc could have written this.  Those keys are not redefinable
now.

It did, at least for alt-f7. The ctrl-insert code, however, is the same as insert alone :(  Can this be fixed
somehow?  I don't dare to dream about the ability to distinguish between, say, plain insert and keypad-insert
(as Emacs does) but what about just plain old ctrl-insert?

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup