Re: How to use mouse with mc in console

Still plodding on alone, as no-one here seems to have any suggestions.
I have compared the broken system with one in which gpm and mc work
well together. Everything looks the same except for two things:

First this:

#ls -l /dev/gpm*
srwxrwxrwx    1 root   root            0 Apr  9 16:45 /dev/gpmctl
prw-r--r--    1 root   root            0 Apr  9 16:47 /dev/gpmdata

Note the "p" in front of the gpmdata entry, and the fact that it has
a size of 0 (compare the result below).

Then there's this:

#cat /dev/gpmctl
cat: /dev/gpmctl: Invalid argument

Again, compare the result below.

I hope this might trigger a spark of understanding, and maybe even
lead to a suggestion to a solution.

I have some more information that may be useful for analysing this
problem:

When I start gpm, a new device /dev/gpmctl appears as follows:

#ls -l /dev/gpm*
srwxrwxrwx   1   root   root          0 Apr  4 13:25    /dev/gpmctl
-rw-r--r--   1   root   root         84 Mar 17 17:36    /dev/gpmdata

If I try to read it manually (by using cat), I get the following:
#cat /dev/gpmctl
cat: /dev/gpmctl: No such device or address

I have also tried using the shift key to see if this might enable the
mouse functions, but there is no difference.

I want to run mc in a console using the mouse, and I can't find out
how to do it.

I have read the documentation, which says that I should use gpm. I do
have gpm running and it is working fine:

# gpm -v
gpm 1.19.6, Thu Oct  4 00:21:21 CEST 2001

$ ps -ef | grep gpm
root       486     1  0 12:00 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/gpm -m
/dev/psaux -t ps2

Here is some other version information:

$ uname -r
2.4.18

$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55
Edition: text mode
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, ftpfs, mcfs, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
Using locale "C" (from environment variable LANG)

I start the midnight (mouseless) commander from a console as follows:

$ mc

As far as I can see, everything is set up as it should be, but still
mc does not react to the mouse as much as I would expect. I can use
the mouse in mc's built in editor to cut and paste, but that's just
about all it will do.

In the help documentation it says that I should be able to use the mc
menus, select and run files, or cd into directories, all by using the
mouse. If I click on a file or directory, the selected line in mc does
not change, and if I double click then all that happens is that the
text is highlighted. If I right click with some text highlighted, then
it gets pasted into the command line.

What steps can I take to troubleshoot this problem, or if I have
missed out some important information, what more could I provide to help
analyse the problem?

--
Cheers!
   .~.