Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.
- From: Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir ximian com>
- To: Eric Mitchell <emitchell altaira com>
- Cc: Elliot Lee <sopwith redhat com>, nautilus-list eazel com, mc gnome org, prion-me-harder ximian com
- Subject: Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.
- Date: 25 May 2001 14:33:08 -0400
On 24 May 2001 10:19:56 -0400, Eric Mitchell wrote:
However, you could rig up an LD_PRELOAD shared library to handle
some useful system calls (open, unlink, etc.) and even go so far
as to ask for confirmation before doing anything "suspicious"
(opening files outside current directory, opening network port
to i.0wn.j00.net, etc.) It would still be a pain, but would
provide a potentially useful "sandbox" area in which to run an
application, without compromising the integrity of the system
as a whole.
This seems that it would be more trouble than it's worth -- what useful
application doesn't need to at least open() some data files? I
understand the intent, but it seems to be worthless for the purposes of
sandboxing apps; it sounds like this will make it impossible to do
useful things with valid apps.
] [Thread Prev