Re: [PMH] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 22 May 2001 20:23:38 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

Currently when people download executables from the network, say for
installing software, they can not execute them because the execute bit
is not set.

Does this actually happen?  Can anyone remember the last time they
downloaded a single binary executable from the web?  Especially ones
that weren't compressed, which might throw this off?  It sounds to me
that this isn't really a problem.. then again, the fix is simple enough,
so not a big deal.

Also, the app that is registered for elf/a.out files worries me, because
it opens the way for the nifty MS-like email viruses.  Something like
Evolution would pick up the elf/a.out handler, and offer an 'Execute'
option.. or double click.. and then we could easily be screwed.

    - Vlad