Re: How to prevent *.tar.gz copy to /tmp in MC

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Gunter Berzler wrote:

 Hi,

Hi everybody !

First of all I'd like to apologize for posting this probably trivial
question to your mailing list. I simply didn't get through to one more
narrowed down to the issue.

Having tried in vain to cope with an MC behavior that I had not been used
before changing from SuSE-Linux 6.1 to Debian 2.2r2. Since that change-over
I've noticed that MC writes a temporary mirror image of any *.gz file that
is marked in file manager to /tmp. Such files eventually clog my
tmp-directory unless I erase them from there, because MC does _not_ do that
automatically upon termination (as I would have expected).
This phenomenon does not occur with the SuSE setup.

 Hi, probably tweaking Options->Virtual FS->Timeout for freeing VFSs can help
(nay be Suse's mc is configured to use some huge timeout)?

Another - yet not so important - matter concerns the fact that MC does not
start in color mode unless parameter -c is added at command line. Is there
a specific entry I could make in /etc/mc/mc.ini that would automate that?
This is my present (dafault) entry concerning colors.
[Colors]
color_terminals=linux,xterm-debian,screen,xterm-color

I'd highly appreciate any help.

 Crazy idea: you may rewrite alias for MC ('mc' is an alias for some function,
declared usually in /etc/profile.d/mc.sh) and add '-c' there. It's a hack
though.
 Another (hackish) solution is to recompile your mc to use another screen
handling library (slang instead of ncurses or vice versa) - this may help.

 But in general - IMO your terminal handling library is guilty (slang or
ncurses).

Gunter

 Best regards,
  -Vlad