"Cannot chmod target file"

I like Midnight Commander.  Except yesterday I was trying to copy some files
to a FAT partition with it.  It didn't work very well.  It complained that it
could not chmod the target file.  It complained in such a way for *ALL* the
few thousand files I was working with.  So I ceased using it and went to get
whatever filemanager comes with Gnome.  But it turned out to be a Gnome
Midnight Commander which has the same problem.

Just a heads up in case anyone is inexplicably bored enough to add some option
like "ignore this error for the rest of this command" but shorter.  Or in case
there is such an option and I'm just very bad at finding it.

Thanks for the otherwise very handy file manager,

        Jason Skomorowski