select file does not high light

Hi,
   I compile the MC on HPUX-10. Every thing works fine
including function keys. But, I have 2 problems:
1.
   When I select files for copy (^T), the files are
selected but they are not high lighted. I can not tell
which files I just select.
2.
   when I copy files (F5), the destination filenames
are exectly what I see on the screen i.e. long
filename
becomes short.
   example:
   real file name: very_long_filename
   on the screen, since the column is narrow, I only
see: very_lon
   when I copy file to  other directory, the
destination filename is: very_lon

Please, help.

Thanks,

hoang