Re: Ctrl+J in mc

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Ivan Pizhenko via mc-devel
<mc-devel gnome org> wrote:

Hi, I'm wondering why following happens:
In Ubuntu and FreeBSD, when I am pressing Ctrl+J in MC, it puts name
of file on which file cursor is currently on. But this doesn't work in
CentOS and RHEL.
How to fix that in CentOS and RHEL?
Ivan.

Hi,

Ctrl+j usually generates the ascii character 10, which is basically
the same as pressing Enter, unless (I guess) it's redefined in the
terminfo database or, maybe, is a setting of the X terminal emulator.
The escape sequences are usually generated by pressing Alt+<key>. So,
as others already pointed out, Alt+Enter will generate the same
sequence as pressing Esc and then Enter. In fact, you can use this
behaviour whenever you want to press Esc first (works great in Vim,
for example - try pressing Alt+h when in insert mode).

As to why Ctrl+j generates an escape sequence on other systems, I
don't know. I find that behaviour quite confusing.

Hope this explanation helps a bit.

Cheers,
--
Jan Synacek