Re: change default configuration

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:01:17 +0300 Sergey Naumov via mc-devel wrote:
I'm curious whether there is a way to change default configuration that is
generated when user invokes mc for the first time?

For example, I want "use_internal_edit" to be true by default instead of
false for any new user.

In vanilla mc the initial value of use_internal_edit is true. Some distros
(Debian and some others) change this to false.

If there is a way to do it, then is it possible to just use lines that I
want to change, not the whole configuration, say

[Midnight-Commander]
use_internal_edit=true

Before first run, ~/.config/mc/ini doesn't exist.
If ~/.config/mc/ini doesn't exist, /etc/mc/mc.ini is used.
If /etc/mc/mc.ini doesn't exist, /usr/share/mc/mc.ini is used.
You can create one of these files with required default settings set.

Unfortunately, there is no info about /etc/mc/mc.ini in the man page.
I'll fix that at this weekend.

--
Andrew