Re: mc^2 news (january 2016)

Hi,

Too bad I'm only answering now...

On Tue, 2016-01-12 at 07:40 +0200, Mooffie wrote:

* The git commit history was rewritten. It now consists of around 90
  commits that go from genesis to today.

Awesome!!!11 That'd make reviewing it a lot easier.

* New users can get an impression of mc^2 instantly: just run it and
  a dialog will pop up asking you if you want to enable some "factory
  defaults" goodies.

Very cool, is the tip now rebased against 4.8.15? Now that there is a
friendly first start screen, maybe I should give it a try on my work
laptop. The screenshots look really mindblowing, in particular, the
spellchecker. I always wanted to have something like this in mcedit!

Just wondering, do you have any kind of internal roadmap of where you
want to go now? Any ideas on how you'd like to get it merged? ~90
smaller commits is definitively better than few huge commits, but that's
still quite a lot. I haven't looked at the commits themselves yet, but
do you think you can try to push them in batches making the patchset
against vanilla smaller and smaller, until we just go ahead and merge
the remaining stuff?

On a related note, I think we (or, rather, I) should start thinking
about releasing 4.8.16 sometime soon. There is quite a bit of good stuff
accumulated in master already. The biggest problem now is that the
cleanup branch again has became quite huge. But I can always tell to
myself that I trust Andrew's good judgment :-)

Andrew, what do you think of this? Do you have any personal plans as to
what do you want to get done before 4.8.16?

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev