Re: Gentoo

> One concrete thing is that Gentoo still has several own patches,
> which i'd prefer to go away. So my proposal: maintain Gentoo
> branches/tags (on per-upstream-release basis) which contain all
> of Gentoo's changes directly (maybe there will also be several
> litte things which chould be done directly in the sourcetree
> instead of workarounds in the ebuilds) - this (IMHO) should make
> long-term maintenance (also for other distros which might be
> interested in Gentoo's changes).

Newer mc versions appear in portage as soon as Alex gets RSS
from us. He is extremely fast in that respect.

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-misc/mc/mc-4.7.0.9.ebuild?view=markup
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-misc/mc/mc-4.7.4.ebuild?view=markup

Latest and greatest ebuilds do not have any patches, as they all are in
upstream. So technically gentoo does not maintain local patches at all
(there is no even single sed call). MC team does all maintenance for them
and issues monthly releases. I find it good enough for such application.

Older ebuilds have patches but they are usual direct cherry-picks/backports
of upstream patches (they are exported in a bit strange way :]):

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-misc/mc/files/

Most of time gentoo users report bugs directly upstream and maintainer
gets the solution from git tree if it can't wait next release. But those
cases are too rare to maintain them separately.

> BTW: one thing's a bit strange in the ebuilds: there's an dependency
> on e2fsprogs @linux. Seems that causes mc to include undelfs support.
> Better: have a separate useflags for the optional mc-vfs'es.

It could be a dep on e2fsprogs-libs (which is a system depend and thus
resides on most of gentoo boxes).

I personally use mc-9999.ebuild, which builds the things directly from git tree
(slightly outdated):

http://repo.or.cz/w/slyfox-gentoo.git/blob_plain/fa10764f09695bcd7a9b94d393c1b785aee242a9:/app-misc/mc/mc-9999.ebuild

It has more USE flags, but I find portage's aproach better: it exports
to USEs only the things that matter for general user or have optional
external depends. In particular 'use vfs ||' block looks horrible, and I
don't think vfs use flag makes sense. In theory all VFSes could be
exported to the use flags in a way APACHE2_MODULES, LINGUAS or
INPUT_DEVICES.

One thing should be kept in mind: The simpler ebuild the easier maintenance.

You can cook-up the patch for latest ebuilds and push it to bugs.gentoo.org.
I'm sure Alex will respond instantly. I am ready to help in any technical
problems in ebuild writing.

--

  Sergei