Re: how does skin recognize that UTF-8 is available?

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:53:32AM +0400, Andrew Borodin wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 21:45:05 +0200 Janek Kozicki wrote:
> > So I suppose that I would just call for an up-arrow and get either a
> > UTF8 on or a ASCII one. But now I'm troubled. I switched to UTF8
> > recently and mc is still using ' and , to show the sorting direction.
> > Instead of ↓ and ↑.
>
> MC uses a default skin or a skin set in command line (-S option) or
> a skin set in the ~/.mc/ini file (skin key). You can try use another
> skin to view non-default sotring symbols.

that's the ultimately user-unfriendly solution.
the *right* solution would be having a list of skins, ordered by
decreasing demands on the charset. mc would automatically use the first
skin whose characters are all available (judging by code page -
incomplete fonts are a different matter: if someone chooses to use
one, he may be required to configure something by hand).