Re: updated: [master] [936bb2e] Added code names for parentheses, brackets and braces.

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 11:44 +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> because you are refusing to employ a workflow which would suit me (or
> any of the other former contributors who have no time to waste nowadays).
> trac adds overhead, because it breaks out of the email-only workflow - i
> have to deal with web access (which is slow), start pushing the mouse,
> and deal with the usual chicanes of trac - e.g., being logged out each
> time i close the browser.

Our Trac setup sucks. You're continuously being redirected from HTTPS to
HTTP and Firefox doesn't want to remember the password for HTTP. This is
a major issue, but the setup is SO obscure that I'm not even sure how to
fix it. E.g. nginx is at 0.6 which is buggy and no longer supported at
all, so it might very well be some nginx / fcgi parameters passing bug.

Kudos to Winnie (and Slava) for creating a weird *undocumented* (who
would ever need to reproduce this, right?) mess of a Trac
configuration :-)

> that you use jabber for real-time communication (instead of irc, like
> almost every other open-source project) doesn't exactly help the
> situation, either. just use #mc on irc.freenode.net.

Jabber vs IRC does not really matter. Just set up a gateway to gate all
kinds of IM and Jabber to whatever common denominator you want (e.g.
IRC) and you're done.

This is what I'm thinking of doing, by the way, since right now e.g. I
can only follow chat logs of the Jabber channels, whereas if I had a
gateway I would be trivially able to circumvent the idiotic filtering
people put in place in public places. Screw brain-dead assholes WTF!

The real problem is in fact the language barrier.

Personally I don't care: even though my English is far from being
perfect, I do speak English at home without any issues. However, despite
the fact that a large part of the devs do speak some English, it's
completely unthinkable for them to discuss anything in English in the
real-time fashion.

This will basically stop the development short. Translating the comments
to the ticket / mailing list is one thing, but live communication is
totally different.

Hey, by the way. I know it sucks, but it's the way it is.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev