Re: Stable release of mc-4.7.0.3

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 03:42:47PM +0100, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> I was asked to answer you that what they had in mind in the
>
> [epoch].[major].[minor].[release]

that's pretty much a guarantee that the epoch will never change.

> Also, they say that Redhat uses the same versioning scheme for the
> kernels they support.

the linux kernel's versioning scheme is an expression of a two-level
generational development model. you may have noticed that this was
dropped years ago - the major version is fixed at 2.6. and you never had
such a model in the first place, and you'll never have. so why would you
introduce such a scheme?

> Other than that, it's a matter of subjective preferences, I guess.

yes, one can also prefer a versioning scheme which converges towards the
value of pi. this isn't necessarily sane or even useful, though.