Re: Stable release of mc-4.7.0.3

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 15:27 +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> why on earth are you again inflating the version namespace? this looks
> like a rather regular bugfix release, i.e. 4.7.1. and the what you
> called 4.7.1 is pretty much a 4.8.
> a.b.c.d releases are only justified if the release tar balls are messed
> up somehow or some other kind of release showstopper slipped through.

I was asked to answer you that what they had in mind in the

[epoch].[major].[minor].[release]

scheme, 4.7.1.x being maintenance releases and 4.7.x.0 = 4.7.x being
feature releases. Also, they say that Redhat uses the same versioning
scheme for the kernels they support.

Other than that, it's a matter of subjective preferences, I guess.

My personal opinion: I don't care as long as there's a scheme to which
they actually stick to.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev