Re: For translators: Midnight Commander on Transifex.net

Slava Zanko <slavazanko gmail com> wrote:

> 17.02.2010 18:57, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

>>> Now mc registered on Transifex: http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/mc/
>>> I hope this will facilitate the work of translators...
>> Why not register with the Translation Project,
>> http://translationproject.org/ ?

> IMHO, Transifex more convenient service.

Convenient for whom? I see that Transifix includes a web based editor. I
suppose that might appeal to some newbies that have no prerequisites with
the gettext tools or knowledge of the po-file format. However, the real
downside of a project like Transifix, as I see it, is that it addresses
individuals whereas the Translation Project (TR) targets translation
teams. TR already has a huge number og translation teams hooked up and
notifications of new versions of po-files are sent to the mailing list of
those teams. Translations are usually peer reviewed on the mailing list
and adhere to the rules and policies for specific and general translation
that have been agreed on by the members. To me that means a great
advantage over Transifix in terms of the quality, consistency and
longterm maintainence of the translations. Furthermore the TR has existed
and worked well for many, many years now.

> Also, year ago Patrick Winnertz sent e-mail's to
> coordinator@ translationproject... and remained unanswered.

Well, sometimes mails go astray. Then you try to resend or find an
alternative address. I'll volunteer to get in touch, if you like.

> Transifex  is supported by Fedora translation project; i think, this
> good argument for this.

Generally speaking, I do not think it is any argument at all, but for the
sake of the argument, I suppose that if a distro like Fedora absolutely
has to endorse any one particular site for maintaining translations, then
it cannot be the TR, since Fedora also includes non-free repositories.
The TR only accepts free software.

Morten