Re: building 4.6.2 with glib1

* Slava Zanko <slavazanko gmail com> schrieb:

Hi,

> Enrico, 'been driven out of the team' is an incorrect words.
> At present time you have write access on git in m-c.o:

I didnt talk about git/trac access, but the social climate
in the dev-team, which - to me - wasnt a real team anymore.
You know that it wasn't the glib issue, but was just the
ignition spark.

But I don't want to cook up those old silly stories - I'm
just interested in technical advance, even if it requires
maintaining my own fork.

> If you absolutely don't like glib - please, propose FULLY-replace
> library.

That's just the start of the mess: one fat library for all.
I'm currently in process of replacing glib stuff step by step,
first things that can be done more efficiently and then those
where other - specific and small - libs existing.

The rule is _NOT_ "kick off glib by any means" (as opposite to
the "use glib by any means"-doctrine), but carefully refactoring
step by step.

> Not library with young age and/or poor-featured - need stable
> and fully-functional library. You want to support own library code?

You want a stable library ? Then glib is not the right thing to
look for. In my daily job (dev as well as operating), glib is
one of the bigges troublemakers, especially incompatibe API
changes within minor release - it really makes fun loosing
important apps (like mc) on a production system just due an
glib update.

> Glib may be smallest.  For this, need to tuning glib (via glib
> bugzilla's feature request etc).

Glib API is too big. It would require a complete refactoring,
it had to be split into lots of smaller libs, ending up in an
very different API. My experciences on glib-dev showed up that
there's absolutely no interest in that there.

> MC just use convenient and 'soft' library.

Yes, but with the inconvenience of loosing mc on several platforms.

> Many current features and thinks will impossible or will much
> harder to realize without glib. Isn't it?

Which ones exactly ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/