Re: My experience with current'ish git

On Monday 29 June 2009 17:20, Slava Zanko wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > Caring for users' bug reports and bugs in bugzilla is not a very
> > inspiring work, but if you do it regularly, you are taking
> > an "invisible" advantage of the work users already did before
> > they wrote an email/bug report: *they diagnosed a problem for you*.
> > You do not need to do it by now.
>
> At now, too much open bugs and feature request. Some bugs very old, some
> bugs we have added themselves... Very hard to balance before priority of
> bugs. For one man bug very critical, for others - not important...

I usually prioritize so that I fix easy bugs,
ask for more info in bugs with unclear description,
explain what user did wrong in non-bugs,
let user know when I can't reproduce a bug.
When no more info comes from user for these cases,
I close the bug in a month or so.

This way, only harder bug remain in the bugzilla.
So it stays manageable.

It's ok when you have many bugs. It may take some time before you
will be able to fix bugs faster than they appear. For some complex
projects like compiler or web browser, it's nearly impossible :)

What is wrong is when a project stops treating bugzilla as
a TODO list, stops trying to shrink it and starts to see it
as an endless supply of user's whining.

> Relative to us, is this mean, that we need to write comment in any case
> into new bugreport?

Yes, this is useful. Do not leave a fresh bug with no comments for months.

> > Don't know how useful above mumblings are... those are just my t
> > houghts
> > about ways to be a successful project.
>
> Denys, big thanks for you help. Our work (development of mc) looks not
> good from other side, I'm understand it :(.

I do not imply that you are not doing maintainer's work good enough.
So far it looks ok.

For example, search dialog now matches old version regarding
keyboard navigation. Someone fixed a bug I whined about! Thanks! :)

--
vda