extfs: How can I create a symlink to a file/directory on the local file system?

I have written a VFS for extfs and would like a way to create a symlink that

points back to somewhere on the local filesystem.

The extfs README says that this should be possible:

' ...If this [symlink] PATH starts with a MC vfs prefix, then it is a
symlink
somewhere to the other virtual filesystem (if you want to specify path from
the local root, use local:/path_name instead of /path_name, since /path_name
means from root of the archive listed.'