Re: Switching the internal editor between byte and UTF-8 mode

On čtvrtek 18 říjen 2007, Roland Illig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in recent discussions, there has often been the question whether the
> editor should be converted to UTF-8, and indeed, many Linux
> distributions have chosen to patch mc so that it does. I would at least
> like to keep the possibility of editing plain binary files, so I suggest

The UTF-8 patch does not break editing binary files. The invalid UTF-8
sequences are preserved.

Or do you mean anything else?

> to add a new option to the editor configuration where you can swap
> between byte-mode and UTF-8 mode.

IMHO this is not necessary. The UTF-8 patch for editor uses wchar_t
internally and it should work for all cases.

What is missing is a possibility to use different encodings for
filesystem and terminal, but it is a problem of whole MC, not
limited to the editor.

> I currently don't have time to implement it, it's just that it would be
> nice to have. :)

Vladimir Nadvornik