[bug #13733] escape key timeout stuff

Follow-up Comment #5, bug #13733 (project mc):

> > Well, one could always adjust it as per his immediate requirements.
> >
> this is *slow*. and extremely annoying if done several times a day.

Maybe I am missing the point but I cannot imagine why one would need to
adjust it more than once. Maybe if one logs into a single network host from
multiple sources... But still this option makes sense mostly when used on a
local machine. I think that beyond certain values enabling this option is not
usefull at all.

> > Have you noticed that I've added a new configuration dialog ?
> >
> no, i did not read your patch. ;-)

You could try it at least :) It doesn't change the default behaviour it just
adds the ability to configure old_esc_mode and the related timeout (I should
have mentioned that earlier).

> > Why do you think an environment variable is more appropriate ?
> >
> it is scriptable. without sed-ing the config file, that is.
> in the scenarios i drafted this option is rather imposed by the operation
> environment than by user preference, so it just makes sense to use
something
> that is naturally part of the environment.

In this case Denis Vlasenko's patch should suffice.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=13733>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/