Re: tty.c

Hello,

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Roland Illig wrote:

> Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
> >

> >> Another benefit of the wrapper is that it reduces the number of
> >> warnings for SLsmg_printf(), which is still declared as taking a
> >> char *, not a const char *, as first argument. Just build mc with
> >> gcc -Wwrite-string and see.
> >

> > Well, Roland, fixing warnings by doing stupid hacks is not the
> > smartest thing to do.
>
> I don't think the "hack" is so stupid. We are using two-and-a-half
> different screen libraries which implement things differently. It's the
> cleanest solution to define an interface that describes a screen
> library providing all the features we actually use and wrap the
> functions of the "real" screen libraries. My goal is to completely rub
> out any #ifdef HAVE_SLANG outside of the tty, colors and slint modules.

At what cost ? Have many bugfixes have you commited recently ? How many
patches have you reviewed ? If HAVE_SLANG spread was such a big drawback
it would have certainly be eliminated by one of the former developers.

> > You could go to the Slang maintainer and ask him to change his code
> > and you could eventually submit patches there and not to MC.
>
> You just want me out of the project, do you? ;)

I am just pointing how should problems in Slang (as opposed to MC) be
addresed. But yes, after almost an year of you being a MC developer I
really think that it wasn't the wisest thing that you've been granted CVS
rights. This is not one of those exercises you've done in the university.