Re: Addressing MC stagnation.

Hello mc-devel, Miguel,

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 17:46 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    Thanks for raising this issue up, I think that we should proceed in
> various stages to address some of the problems that we have today in mc:
>
> 	* The website should move to a Wiki.
>
> 	  I will have our sysadmins setup a Wiki for MC based on the
> 	  success we have had with Hula, Mono and Beagle.  The use of
> 	  the Wiki means that users can effectively contribute to the
> 	  well state of the project, documentation, tutorials and
> 	  addressing problems that people face.
>
> 	  Also using the forum feature and discussion is a good way
> 	  of keeping archives easily accessible to everyone.
>
> 	* Release-often: MC has not been officially released for a
> 	  long time.  I propose that the current CVS gets released
> 	  as MC 5.0 and if any issues are found with the release
> 	  we release 5.0.1, 5.0.2 and so on to address these problems.

Sounds good to me. What about releasing mc in a given time period to
prevent a lingered release cycle? Releasing a new mc (with changing its
middle release number for instance) two times per year, say 1st Jan and
1st June, would be good at least for the downstream maintainer's point
of view.
Furthermore awareness of incoming release motivates people contributing
to mc development to send all important patches before the date if they
want to see them committed in the next release.

Cheers,
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy redhat com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/

The worst evil in the world is refusal to think.