Re: Introducing separate strings for quick bar items

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:02:31PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> F.e. I've translated N_("Quit") to "Afsltn" in Dutch. This is short for
> "Afsluiten". Now this string fits nicely in the quick bar, but it's
> quite ugly as a header in the quit dialog. By defining the quit string
> for the quick bar as "Quit  " it can be translated separately.

Quite ugly approach since it relies on "Quit" actually being shorter than 6
chars. And what do you do at RenMov, Delete, PullDn?

A more generic approach is to add the same prefix to all these strings (e.g.
"1Quit"), make a comment for translators to leave that prefix as it is (e.g.
"1Afsltn") and strip that prefix at runtime.

By the way: the bottom right corner of mc has "Quit" while the File menu
contains "eXit" associated to F10. Shouldn't they be called the same?

--
Egmont