Re: "Display bits"

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:50:11AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> it *might* be for setting 7-bit serial terminal links. but in this case
> one could use tcgetattr to find out about it. so i dunno ...

I don't think too many people use it nowadays, and then still there are
dozens of good console apps (mail clients, editors etc.) and I don't think
any of them supports this option directly.

However, if someone still needs 7 bits, he can set LC_CTYPE=C and then
isprint() will return false for all >=128 bytes so then mc (if written
properly to only output characters which are printable) will behave as
expected. So it's not a special case which needs extra care, it's just an
ordinary subcase of honouring locale settings.

--
Egmont