Re: "Display bits"

Hello,

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Egmont Koblinger wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 11:52:56PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>
> > Any objection against me changing the string "Display bits" in the
> > options menu to "Character coding"?
>
> What's the real purpose of that option at all?

There are two cases:

1) MC with multiple codepages support

In this case `Display Bits' contains two fields - `Input / display
codepage' and `Full 8 bits input'. The second option is a bit misleading
it actually refers to how the meta key should be handled. The first refers
to the default encoding used by files on your system i.e. when you open a
file with the viewer assume that the file is say 'CP850'.

2) MC without multiple codepages support

In this case `Display Bits' contains:

  ( ) Full 8 bits output
  ( ) ISO 8859-1
  ( ) 7 bits

  [ ] Full 8 bits input

`Full 8 bits input' again refers to the handling of the meta key.

`Full 8 bits output' - allows characters in the range 128 - 159

`ISO 8859-1' - allows characters in the range 160 - 255

`7 bits' - it is obvious :)

If either `Full 8 bits output' or  `ISO 8859-1' is selected MC forces the
terminal to return 8 bits on input.