Re: Dropping mmap from the virtual file system

Roland Illig wrote:

And here's the patch to do it. Note that mc is still using mmap(), but not in the virtual file system. It does not lose any functionality, just code size.

If it makes mc loading the whole file into memory, it _totally_ sucks. A few years ago I had a NTFS partition, which didn't support mmap, and I was swearing on mc all the time as accidentally hitting F3 on a large file usually meant switching terminals (before system slows down to freeze due to swapping) and killing mc.

If you want to get rid of mmap, maybe the viewer could be rather rewritten to use lseek, but I would strongly object against the change above.

--
Jindrich Makovicka