Re: rar archives with password

On Thursday 04 November 2004 17:13, wwp wrote:
> Hello Vladimir,
>
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:58:50 +0100 Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvornik suse cz>
wrote:
> > urar virtual filesystem hangs on archives with password. This patch
> > adds an option -p- to unrar to disable password prompt.
> > I couldn't test it with rar.
>
> If I did not miss anything, listing contents of .rar archives that contain
> password-protected files do not require to enter the password so it should
> not lock. Only extraction does (the archive headers themselves are not
> protected). So to me the first part of you patch does not make a
> difference.
You are right. It is not needed for listing, but for consistency I'd use it
here too.

> Now regarding the second part, well, extracting password-protected files
> without passing a password will extract 0-byte length files, with filenames
> altered (prefixed w/ a star: *), for instance, try to copyout the only file
> from the attached .rar archive would create an empty file *foo.bar. So
> what's the aim of the second part as well?

Without the patch mc freezes completely. I had to kill it from another
terminal.
It can be reproduced with mc cvs from monday and unrar 3.30 on the file
tst.rar

> The tst.rar attached has been created w/ rar 3.40, using command: `rar a
> -pfoo tst.rar foo.bar`.
>
> Now, being able to interactively type in a password to use when extracting
> (and optionally when adding to archive) files would be useful.

I fully agree, but current vfs does not support it.

--
Vladimir Nadvornik
developer