Re: A proposal for Midnight Commander

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Ali Akcaagac wrote:

> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/<foo>/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
>
> Now you see in more recent installations of XFree that it also created a
> directory in /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig. Thus you need to add this prefix
> to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH searchpath as well so pkgconfig realizes that
> there are .pc files as well thus you line looks like this.
>
> export
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/<foo>/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
>
> Now many core system libraries are moving to /usr these days and you
> guessed it, some of these things create a /usr/lib/pkgconfig directory
> so your line looks like this.
>
> export
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/<foo>/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
>
> This was not required with the old *-config files because they were
> always found in the suitable binary PATHS. I do see benefits of using
> pkgconfig - as I'm using it in my own stuff, but it would be a big lie
> denying other problems that have shown up with it.

What do you mean by suitable binary PATH? Every time a new directory needs
to be put into PKG_CONFIG_PATH, most likely a counterpart of that
directory needs to be put into LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf, and
often PATH needs to be adjusted, too. As a result, so far you had to
maintain a directory listing at two different places, now you have to do
at three. I see absolutely no problem here. Most likely the very same
engine that is managing your PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf can also be used to
manage PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

--
Egmont