Re: A proposal for Midnight Commander

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 20:58, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Maybe you should consider building mc with glib statically linked.

Well thats not the point. Compiling something statically does indeed
work but reducing dependency is the better way imo.

Look there are quite some functions marked DEPRECATED in glib already
this includes functions such as g_tree_traverse for the upcoming glib2.4
(only one example). This means on the long run you need to replace these
functions inside MC with suitable new functioncalls. Instead going this
way, it would be better to make MC independant to glib again and have it
kept as standalone app.

I would really consider working on the core MC rather than going for yet
another fork of it due to disagreement. Which is quite commonly the
reason for forks to show up. I mean we are only changing a bunch of
g_malloc's, g_free's here and kill some deprecated tree functions with
alternative calls. It's no visible change or drastic change that
influences the normal workflow here.