Re: annoyance: undo does not reset "modified" status

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 05:31:59PM +0200, Adam Byrtek / alpha wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 05:21:35PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > you mean, undo means "undo last editing action plus all following
> > movements"? NO WAY! i absolutely HATE this behaviour in vim. while
> > merging moves is negotiable, pretending that they don't exist is
>
> And mcedit behaviour is plain stupid for me. I wan't undo to unDO, not
> unMOVE. If I change something, browse the file (eg. 100 movement
> commands) and decide to undo my last change it will be very difficult
> for me to undo the real modification. And if I want to move back - I
> can just use arrow keys.

that's a pretty weak argumentation. with move merging this adds one
additional keypress, which is absolutely irrelevant given that edit
action merging is not performed (that should be added and done based on
timing, too, imho). moving to the old place otoh can be a _significant_
amount of keypresses.
for me, moving around _is_ an editing action. i have a weak short-term
memory, so being able to jump back (and forth, fwiw - where is "redo"?
:) to recatch the context after some distraction is very valuable.

greetings