Re: Samba configuration files directory

Pavel Roskin wrote:
Hi, Andrew!

I implement possibility to describe where Samba configuration file is in the
system. This can be configured by configure, but somewhere smb.conf is placed in the /etc, somewhere in the /etc/samba and so on. This feature
can be useful for system administrators.  I need your help to describe
this change in the doc/mc.1.in.  My English is not perfect ;-)

Neither is mine, but your description seems fine to me.

The bad thing is that it pushes the mc.ini vs. mc.lib madness even
further.  mc.lib is supposed to be a system wide configuration, while
mc.ini should only have the settings saved by the user. That's what the manual used to say before I discovered that only terminal settings are actually read from mc.lib.

Some settings are more likely to be system-wide than others, and it's
understandable that your code only reads mc.lib.  However, I would prefer
to have a uniform policy regarding the settings.

By the way, what is mc reading from smb.conf? Is it the workgroup name?

Workgroup/domain name is really read from here, but it is not used...

Anything else?  I think that mc should work just fine without smb.conf.

In my case it is at least "character set", "client code page" and maybe
"code page directory" and "netbios name/scope". It is fine to have this parameters in one place like system wide smb.conf and configure only one file for all aplications.