Re: fish server ?

Hello, Rolf!

> in section 17.3 of the mc manual
> (http://canvas.gnome.org:65348/mc/manual-i.html#4) a fish server is mentioned.

I'm surprized that the old mc page is still on the net!  Anyway, the
current manual also mentions fish server, the only difference being that
the sections are not marked as "NEW" and "UPDATED", because they are not.

I believe that the protocol implemented by mc allows the other side to be
controlled by a dedicated server instead of a shell, but the fish server
has never been implemented.

If you want to share files, then you can always use FTP.  If you want the
traffic to be encrypted and still want mc to access it, then you probably
could use FTP on top of IPSEC.

By the way, if you cannot easily find some software (like fish server),
you should not consider it secure even when you find it.  Security
professionals don't audit obscure software.

Even Midnight Commander itself wasn't audited (as far as I know), so if
your security requirements are high, you should resort to proven software
(ipsec, kerberos, sftp), even if it doesn't provide a nice user interface.

There is a lot of code in Midnight Commander that was written without any
security considerations whatsoever.  This code is gradually replaced or
removed, but it takes time.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin